My Destination Dish recipe for the month of January is a Local Honey & Peppercorn Glazed Duck Breast with sweet hermiston, onion and butternut squash whipped potatoes, crispy beets, kumquat marmalade, and cherry demi glace. This dish is served with Glen Fiona Syrah, 2007 Walla Walla Valley. Visit The Cascade Dining Room at Skamania Lodge to try this delicious kumquat dish or try it at home using my recipe below.
1/2 cup Bourbon
1 pound fresh kumquats
2 pieces whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
3 pieces star anise
2 cups orange juice
1 jar (9.5 ounces) candied ginger in syrup
2 cups sugar
- Cut the kumquats in half. Using the tip of a small knife, remove the seeds from the kumquat halves. Place these seeds in a small piece of cheesecloth with the cloves, cinnamon, and star anise, and tie the corners together to contain the contents.
- In a large pot combine the kumquats, bourbon, orange juice and the cheesecloth containing the seeds and spices. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook until the kumquats are soft, about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime place the ginger and the juice from the jar into a blender or food processor and run until it reaches a fine puree. Add the sugar and half of the pureed ginger to the marmalade, reserving the remaining pureed ginger for future use.
- Bring back to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium and simmer until a thick jam-like consistency is reached, about 1 hour more.
- Ladle the finished marmalade into sterilized jars and refrigerate